Date: 26 October 1998
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 012]: TAC2 CD Release Party 10/17 review

updated January 24, 2003

Hi Mitch Friends,

A few days before Mitch was to be in Kansas City as part of the Homeless Man Tour Dates on Sunday night, Oct 18, he found out he would be able to participate in a Release Party Concert on Saturday night for a new CD that includes one of his songs (the first compilation to do so). As explained below, Awakening Records puts out these CD's to help out independent artists (yes, Mitch is still an indie artist). I was unable to make it to the Release Party, but I ran into Chris French the next evening (at the Homeless Man concert), and she offered to tell us a little about the evening. After the Homeless Man concert, I also met and visited with Scott Sanders, co-producer and art director for the project. He got me a copy of the CD which stayed in the player all the way back to Wichita that evening. Great CD!

Info on purchasing the CD is after the review.

--Danl

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:27:12
From: Chris French
Subject: Awakening Records release

Saturday, October 17, 1998
New Earth Coffeehouse, Kansas City

Bear in mind that this is written by someone who didn't sit and absorb
the concert.

Tonight was the CD release party for "The Awakening Compilation Vol. 2"
- affectionately known as tAC2.  Awakening Records (AR) is a small
company based in Chapel Hill, NC.  The philosophy behind the company is
to provide a "fresh alternative to what is currently available on the
national market" and to "give the artists the national exposure they
deserve."  All the artists are independent that appear on the
compilations.  The concert on October 17 was the culmination of three
weeks of touring throughout the southeast.  The kick-off was on
September 25 in Fayetteville, AR and featured Mark William, Bebo Norman
and Ridgely...all artists on tAC1.  The three of them were joined by
some of the tAC2 folks along the way.  In Kansas City, the scheduled
line up was Mark, Bebo, Andrew Peterson, and Dog Named David.  Some last
minute additions were Karen Bradley and Mitch McVicker. (Andrew, DND,
Karen and Mitch are all on tAC2)

The show opened around 8pm with Bebo Norman.  Bebo sang new stuff as
well as stuff from his "Fabric of the Verse" cd.  Mark Williams followed
Bebo.  Mark has two cd's "Beggar at the Door" (out of print) and
"Journals of a Recovering Skeptic".  These two marked the end of the
tAC1 concert and the rest of the performers were "new".  I lost track of
the order of the next 3, but here goes...Andrew Peterson and Gabe Scott
were great-despite the fact that Andrew's mind was likely on his wife
who is expecting their first baby in a couple of weeks.  Karen Bradley
plays a mean piano...when one can be found.  They were able to move a
piano up by the stage and she belted out 2 songs...there was even a
mannequin on top of the piano for added effect. In addition to
music...Karen is a nurse who works the night shift in the delivery
room.  Mitch McVicker and his band were wonderful.  I saw them
at Cornerstone, and only really heard them here. But every time I hear
them,  I like them more and more.  The evening concluded sometime around
midnight with Dog named David.  I managed to be inside for most of this
part.  Their cd does not do them justice.  John and Andy will have you
laughing out loud throughout the show, and you can see how much fun they
are having on stage...if it looks impromptu-it just might be.

Peace and Grace
Chris

Here are the related links for this review...

Awakening Records
http://www.awakeningrecords.com (apparently defunct)

The Awakening Compilation, Vol 2
currently available at Grassroots Music
http://grassrootsmusic.com/artist/awakening/awakening2

Other Awakening Compilation CDs available at
http://grassrootsmusic.com/artist/awakening/

Return to top