Date: 13 February 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 023]: Blue Springs, MO 01/29 & Sedalia, MO 1/30 review

Alanna Thornton's Blue Springs & Sedalia review

From: Alanna Thornton
Subject: Concert reviews!
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:29:44

Hi Danl!

I went to see Mitch and his band Fri (1/29) in Blue Springs, and all
I can say is that it was probably the most incredible concert I'd ever been
to.  I liked them so much, that I drove 2 hours in the pouring rain to see
them in Sedalia Sat, (1/30).  :)

Anyway, they were all just awesome!!  Um, they started out with 'Here and
Now', and then he did 'One of these days'.  He introduced one of his new
songs, and it was so powerful!  The words were so intense, and anointed!  He
talked for a brief minute about the next song.  He described it as being a
ballad/lullaby song on his album, and they decided to make it 'funky'.  It
was 'New Mexico', which is my favorite song of Mitch's.  I loved it!  He
explained what Canticle of the Plains was, and they went into the Canticle
portion of the concert.  Shelly's voice is absolutely beautiful, and she
just wailed on 'In Your Hands'.  Her and Eric's duet of 'Fairest Lord Jesus'
was beautiful.  Mitch sang 'There You Are', and listening to the words, just
made me realize that so often I look for 'signs and wonders and miracles'
from God to see that He's real.  But, all I really need to do is look at
what He has created.  Look at the trees, the earth, the mountains, the
desert.  It's all made by His Hand.  It was a pretty awesome revelation for
me!!  Mitch talked about Compassion, and shared his heart for the people
right here in our nation that are suffering.  It was really inspiring, and
just showed his humble heart, and his desire to serve people.  He shared how
all the things of this world will end, but the things that will remain are
the things of God.  Faith, hope and love will always remain.  He ended with
'Only Love will'.

On Fri. night, Mitch was ready to start the second set, and I guess Eric was
still out chatting with people, so Michael picked up Eric's cello, and
started playing.  It was quite funny!  Mitch just kept on playing 'Gospel
Rain', and Eric ran up on stage, and started playing HD, then picked up the
accordian.  Michael then started playing the acoustic bass.  I was amazed at
how good it sounded!  The next song was 'Freedom'...I sat in awe listening
to Eric rock out on the cello, and watching Michael play the tambourine with
his feet, and HD with his hands, and Mitch jammin on guitar.  They are all
probably the most talented musicians I think I'd ever seen!!  Um...after
that, they did a new song called 'When you love'.  It was really beautiful,
I can't wait to hear it on a CD!  Then, the guys did 'Ready to wear my long
white robe'.  The harmonies were flowing, and the music, everything was once
again, awesome!  Mitch shared a very funny story about a little 'post-it'
note he saw at a convenience store during a road trip.  After that, on Sat.,
Mitch announced that Eric was going to play a Bach concerto on his cello.
I've never heard anyone play the cello so beautifully, and so skillfully!
They said he hadn't done that in a couple years in concert, but they had a
request for it, so they did it.  I was so glad that I came out just so that
I could hear him play that!  Next, Mitch told the story about how the man
wrote the hymn 'It is Well'.  I don't know if it was the song, or the way
Mitch told the story, but it was so touching, and I was all teary-eyed
listening to it.  Michael's arrangement was so beautiful, and it reminded me
so much of Rich Mullins!  After that, Mitch talked a bit about Rich, and
introduced 'My Deliverer'.  Their arrangement was so incredibly anointed,
and seemed to  touched every person there.  Mitch seemed to be a little
teary-eyed himself, and he sang with such passion.  After that, they did
'Take Hold of Me'.  Mitch shared afterwards, that that was his prayer, that
the Lord would just take a hold of him, and all of us there.  Mitch started
to introduce the 'Lemonade Song', and talked about how when he'd first
written it, he thought it was stupid, but after some time, he realized it
was completely profound.  i don't remember everything that he said, but I
just was really challenged to not take little things for granted.  I see
everything as a beautiful thing that God has created, and I am trying to
appreciate all that.  I loved how they played that song, with Michael
playing a popcorn tin with his feet, and the washboard, Mitch jammin on
guitar.  How cool is that??

They came up after standing ovations, and Mitch said, 'We don't know no more
songs'.  They started playing 'Lord, I lift your Name,' and then went right
into 'I Love you, Lord'.  They quietly left the stage, and just started
walking around talking to people.

I think the thing I loved most about them, is just their humble hearts, and
sweet spirits.  Mitch shared so much about how he was learning patience, and
learning how to wait on the Lord like it says in Isa 40:31.  He was just
trusting in the Lord for complete healing.  His voice sounded incredible to
me, and I am so thankful for what the Lord is doing in their lives and
through them to others.  He talked about the Cross, and how Jesus carried it
even though it was dirty, smeared, nicked...He carried because He was
devoted to doing His father's will, and He was devoted to us.  He challenged
us to be like little children, and just run full steam ahead to the kingdom
of Heaven, and jump up on the Father's lap, throw our arms around Him, and
let Him bounce us on HIs knee.  The whole evening (both of them!) were so
awesome!!  I got to talk to Eric and Michael briefly afterwards, and they
were so awesome!   One thing Mitch had said was that he was sitting in
McDonald's one day after a concert, and that he realized he guess he wasn't
as special as he'd thought the night before when everyone was clapping for
them.  I think that is why the band is so awesome, because they realize that
it's all about God, and serving Him.  They were not conceited, or caught up
in the fact they were incredible musicians.  They are just ordinary people.
I can't wait to see them again, if they ever come back to Kansas!!  I
totally recommend this concert to everyone, and be prepared to be blessed!!!

Blessings,
Alanna :)

Return to top