Date: 23 April 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 032]: Augusta, KS 04/11 review

Another review of the Augusta KS concert, 4/11/1999
as posted to the Ragamuffin Mailing List by RaNee' Stumpff

From: RaNee' Stumpff
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:04:20 (CDT)
Subject: [ragamuffin] Mitch Concert last Sunday

I got to see Mitch in concert Sunday night.  I have been meaning to tell
everyone about it, but I just haven't had the time yet.

First, I have to tell you that one of the reasons I went was so I could take my
little nephew.  He is 20-months old and he *LOVES* Mitch.  He was born with a
cleft lip and palate, which has been repaired, but because of that he still is
not talking.  However, he can tell me he wants to listen to Mitch's CD!  It is
the cutest thing you have ever seen.  His favorite song is "The Lemonade Song"
and we have to listen to it over and over and over and over!  So, I couldn't
wait to take him to Wichita for this concert.  This was our first overnight
trip for just the 2 of us!  We had so much fun!!  He absolutely loved the
concert!

The place was packed, and I didn't get there as soon as I wanted to, so we
didn't have very good seats. I was really excited that there were so many
people there.  Mitch sounded great.  I think he sounds better and better
everytime I see him.  (There was one point in the concert, I don't remember
which song it was, but I started feeling really emotional.  I was thinking how
far Mitch has come.  I just had to stop right there and thank God for what he
has done, and thank him for leaving Mitch here with us for a while longer.)
Danl already posted the set list to the MitchMailList, which is a good thing
because I didn't keep track of it.  I loved hearing 3 new songs that I had not
heard before.  I was especially glad to get to be able hear the song he wrote
for Rich.  He had also written a new song on his way to Wichita and he played
that one for us too.  I really liked that one.  It was about burning the fields
in the Flint Hills around Wichita and wanting to be renewed by God in that same
way.  Since we had also seen fields burning on our way to Wichita it made the
song even more meaningful. (And here I had just thought it was cool to see, I
didn't draw any spiritual parallel to the renewal.  Guess that's why I am not a
song writer!)  He also played another unrecorded song that I have heard him do
before and I just love it.  He wrote the song with Michael, and I think it is
called "Where Did It Go".  Ya'll will just LOVE it when you get the chance to
hear it.  Eric's cousin came from McPherson, Kansas and she joined them on the
violin on "Only Love Will".  It was absolutely beautiful!!  Michael did his
verson of "It Is Well" on the dulcimer and you know how beautiful that was! The
whole concert was great.  And of course my nephew loved it.  I think he was a
little overwhelmed.  I don't know if he ever made the connection that it was
Mitch singing in person, but regardless, he loved the music.  He would not sit
down at all.  He had to stand in my lap through the entire concert and dance
and clap.  He was so tired by the time it was over he was a zombie!  Mitch was
nice enought to take a picture with Trey after the concert.  But, Trey is in a
shy stage and was scared to death of Mitch.  I don't know how the picture will
turn out, but I am glad I have it for him.

Thanks for letting me ramble about the concert and my nephew!

Have a good day!

~RaNee'

Return to top