Date: 05 June 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 037]: Kaukauna, WI 06/26 review

Michelle Otto's Kaukauna, WI review
as posted to the Ragamuffin Mailing List

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 15:41:12
From: Michelle Otto
Subject: [ragamuffin] Mitch McVicker concert review, Sat 6/26/99 in Kaukauna, WI

Mitch McVicker Concert, with Brad Layher

St. Mary's Picnic
LaFollette Park (near downtown Kaukauna)

No charge for concert, but a free will offering wiil be taken.
200 chairs will be set up, with first come, first serve seating
starting at 2:00 PM, plenty of standing room.

First off, a list of the songs Mitch and Brad did during the 2 hour
concert:

One of These Days
Gospel Rain
When You Love
Heaven Is Waiting
There You Are
Take Hold Of Me
Hope
Freedom
Burn The Fields
Emmanuel
She Asked Me How
Here And Now
Rich's Song
The Lemonade Song
(not sure of the name of this next one--but the chorus spoke of "living
in a world that's inside out, upside down...maybe someday I'll see God")
My Deliverer
No, Not One
On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
I Love You, Lord

The outdoor concert seemed to start out great, until they were still
trying to get the sound just right, and got some really bad
feedback...about 5 minutes of guesswork from the sound guys, and Mitch
and Brad both switching for other guitars, as well as joking about how
common this sort of thing can be, and they had it sorted out.

Mitch mentioned some of the same things that most of you have mentioned
him saying in concerts--the struggles from recovering from the accident,
the double vision, missing Rich, working with Compassion, a little about
Canticle of the Plains, being a radical for Jesus...

He said that since the accident his voice has not been quite the
same--higher notes are a lot harder for him--and some certain songs are
more difficult.  He hasn't been performing She Asked Me How in concerts
for a while, because that song is particularly difficult to sing for him
yet.  But, the guy who set up this concert, specially requested that
song as his favorite--so Mitch agreed to try it.  And sang it perfectly,
as far as I could tell.

Brad did a wonderful job on the hammered dulcimer for Heaven Is Waiting,
Burn The Fields, She Asked Me How, and Rich's Song.  For the first
couple, I was fooled into thinking maybe he was new to the hammered
dulcimer or something--because he didn't play a whole lot, or very
loudly.  By the time he got to Rich's Song though, I was extremely
impressed.  First time I've ever seen a hammered dulcimer played live--I
never did manage to see Rich in concert.

I greatly enjoyed the concert...after spending the whole day working in
a very hot, humid nursing home kitchen, I was pretty crabby by the time
I got home from work--but was in a much better mood once the concert
started.  I can't wait till August--hopefully I'll get to see Mitch at
the Cup O'Joy coffeehouse in Green Bay...

My only regret is I forgot the camera--but, the lady sitting next to us
took down my address and might send me the doubles of her pictures...if
so--I'll scan them in for all to see.

Hope this fills everyone in, back to the usual lurking-mode,

Michelle Otto

Return to top