Date: 02 Dec 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 050]: Peoria, IL 10/29 and New Cumberland, PA 11/05 reviews

as posted to the Ragamuffin Mailing List

Brian Smith's Peoria, IL review

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:52:10 (PST)
From: Brian Smith
Subject: Mitch McVicker concert - Peoria, IL - 10/29/99

I had the privilege of seeing Mitch &
Brad live at The Main Stage in Peoria, IL.

Set List:
1. One of These Days
2. Gospel Rain
3. When You Love (? - new song)
4. Heaven is Waiting
5. There You Are
6. It Won't Take Long (? - new song)
7. Freedom
8. Take Hold of Me
9. Hope
10. Here and Now
11. The Solid Rock
12. New Mexico
13. Burning the Fields (? - new song)
14. My Deliverer
15. Song for Rich ("Calling You Home?")
16. The Lemonade Song
17. Inside Out, Upside Down (? - new song)

ENCORES
1. She Asked Me How
2. Only Love Will

Highlights included:
-Mitch's impression of a polar bear
-Brad improvising a new song called "Dead Space" while
Mitch was tuning
-Brad going on strike after Mitch picked on him.  He
came back after much audience encouragement.  Mitch's
comment: "Wow, man, you got applause for standing up"
-Mitch trying to tune his guitar after Brad told him
it WAS tuned.  He said, "Technology - you can't live
with it, you can't fry it in a wok".  Brad replied
"Don't worry folks, I don't know what he means
either!"

Both looked great. Mitch said he is still having
trouble with his eyes, but that he has learned that
nerves repair themselves at the rate of an inch per
year.  For me, the best part was hearing practically
everything he has released on CD, as well as five new
songs.  I'm VERY much looking forward to the next
album, which is being produced by Mark Robertson (Rag
member and TT leader extraordinaire).  It sounds as if
Mitch has been listening to Bob Dylan and Neil Young
in regards to his new harmonica solos.

Catch them if you get the chance.  I happen to know
from trying to book them that it is the bargain of the
century to have Mitch appear at your church, concert
hall, or bookstore.  I just can't find anyone here who
will bankroll such a project.  Grrr...

Later,
Brian
Return to top

Kathy Baldwin's New Cumberland, PA review

From: Kathy Baldwin
Subject: Mitch McVicker concert - New Cumberland, PA 11/5/99
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 17:12:33 EST

Following is the set list from Mitch's New Cumberland concert. (Thanks,
Brian, for your review of the Peoria concert, I used it as an outline).

Kim and Rob, please jump in with any corrections or additions!

>Set List:
>1. One of These Days
>2. Gospel Rain
>3. When You Love (? - new song)
>4. There You Are

After this song, Mitch told the story of the businessman and the blind boy.
I heard him tell this--very emotionally--once before. He seemed a bit more
composed this time.

>5. Heaven is Waiting

They had a little noise problem at this point. Brad asked for a little help
saying "I call it feedback, I'm not sure what you call it". Mitch jumped in
with "Poopy!"

>6. She Asked Me How

They just seated themselves for the next song as Mitch talked about trying
to read Brad's expressions. He then turned towards Brad and let out this
crazy man scream. Brad hung his head, smiled slightly and said "I feel the
concert's going well, don't you??"

>7. The Solid Rock

Brad told his cockroach trivia....

>8. Take Hold of Me

The guys took a short break. Before the next set, Rob and Kim presented the
gifts as we all sang "happy birthday" to Mitch.

>9. Hope
>10. Here and Now

Mitch did his polar bear impression (too cute!)

>11. It Won't Take Long (? - new song) with Brad on mandola.

Mitch stepped aside to give Brad the opportunity to sing a song of his own.
Brad explained how he and Mitch met through Michael Aukofer, how he just
graduated from college with a civil engineering degree, and how his parents
felt about his "wandering" around doing music--which, he said, led to the
realization that this may be God's call for his life. He talked of finding a
place in God's arms. The song that resulted from these musings was
wonderful. Brad has a beautiful voice.....
>12. Find a place  (?  Brad's song)

Brad broke a string, so Mitch told his gorilla joke. Unfortunately, Brad
didn't have what he needed to fix it, so he slowly and quietly started off
the stage, out the door and out of the church. Mitch, keeping rather cool,
went into his other favorite joke. Once the repairs were made, Brad set down
the guitar and sheepishly said "I didn't need that guitar afterall...."
Mitch looked at him somewhat bewildered. Then Brad realized he DID need this
guitar--he had gotten confused about which song was next. Mitch joyfully
exclaimed "FOR ONCE!" I assume from that reaction that Mitch is usually the
one getting the set list confused. He loved the fact that Brad goofed "for
once."

>13. New Mexico
>14. Burning the Fields (? - new song)

Mitch talked about the accident and the slow healing process.

>15. My Deliverer
>16. Song for Rich ("Calling You Home?")
>17. Freedom
>18. The Lemonade Song

>ENCORES
The guys came back out and led us in about 5 worship songs--from "Lord, I
Life Your Name on High"  through  "Step by Step"

The entire evening was such a blessing....

Peace to you,

Kathy
Return to top