Date: 28 Mar 2000
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 055]: Dearborn, MI 03/11 review

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:02:28
From: Vicki Gerdom
Subject: concert review 3/11

We arrived at Dearborn Free Methodist Church about 20 minutes before the
concert was supposed to begin.  I had mixed feelings when we walked in,
because there were already quite a few people, which is good.  But I had
hoped to sit closer to the stage.  It's one of those fan-shaped
sanctuaries though, so you're not too far away from the front no matter
where you sit.  I'm sure there were at least 200 people there by 7PM.
Maybe as many as 250.

A DJ from a Detroit radio station was the emcee.  I don't remember his
name since we don't get that station in Port Huron.  But he seemed like
a nice guy.  He first introduced a local singer named John Vass.  (I
hope I spelled that right.  I hadn't heard of him before either.)  John
sang four songs.  One was a funny song about junk food.  He also did a
rendition of Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful To Me, with some lyrics
changed so that it was sung toward God.  There was a bad reverberation
when he was performing, though.  I don't know if anyone was doing sound
for John, because it was John who did the sound for Mitch and Brad, and
they sounded fine.  So even though I wasn't thrilled about having to
listen to his four songs before Mitch and Brad came out, he did do a
good job with the sound for them.

Mitch and Brad just walked out and tuned up a bit.  I took notes on what
songs they performed so that I wouldn't forget.  It went like this:

Gospel Rain
Only Love Will
Lemonade Song
*A Little Faith - a new one.  I'm not sure about the title.
My Deliverer
Heaven is Waiting - Mitch mentioned that this was the first song he
   wrote with Rich.
*Change? - another new song.  "My home is far away but it won't take
   me long to get there."
New Mexico
On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand - a capella while thumping on
   their guitars.  The people at the church really seemed to
   enjoy that one.
Hope - Brad described this as their attempt to rock.
Brad's song - Mitch let Brad do this all by himself.  Something
   about just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost.
Here and Now
*Burn the Fields - I was glad to hear this one since it has
   been mentioned in other reviews.
One of These Days
Take Hold of Me
*Inside-out, Upside-down - another new song I've heard talked about
   in other reviews.  I really liked this one.

That ended it, but they came back for an encore.  Someone in the
audience asked them to do She Asked Me How.  They seemed tentative about
that, saying they hadn't performed that in a while.  But that's what
they ended up playing.  Then Mitch said, "Let's end with some
choruses."  He led us in singing Step By Step, I Love You Lord, We Exalt
You, and ending with Step By Step.

It was a very polite group of people, almost stiff.  They finally seemed
to start loosening up about halfway through the concert.  Mitch did do
the polar bear joke, which I've read about before.  My 12 year old son
liked that.

Brad had a broken string at one point, I think, and was frantically
trying to fix it while Mitch just continued on with the song.  It was
funny watching the frustration on Brad's face.

I guess they went into the church library afterward to sell CDs and sign
autographs, but we didn't stay.  There was already a crowd at the door
to the library when we went by, and I knew it would take us longer to
get home since it had snowed during the whole concert.  So I didn't get
to say hi to Mitch or Brad.  Maybe next time.  I figured they were
probably tired by then, and one less person they had to talk to would
mean they could get some rest that much sooner.

Vicki Gerdom

Return to top