Date: 10 September 2002
To: MitchMailList
From: Mitch McVicker
Subject: [MitchMailList 097]: Without Looking Down review, by Rick Moore

click on pic for larger image
"Without Looking Down" premieres on September 17th nationwide and kickstarts Mitch's biggest touring campaign to date. Go to the Dates Page to see a current list of upcoming concerts, book a concert with Mitch, or to the Discography Page to get current information on his new album

Without Looking Down
Mitch McVicker

review by Rick Moore

Perhaps the greatest enjoyment of following an artist's career from the beginning is watching him mature right in front of your eyes. This can be said of Mitch McVicker and his latest attempt, "Without Looking Down".

This album marks the first Mitch has recorded for his new record label, Spindust Records, started by CCM veteran Ray Boltz.

The first thing I noticed about this record, other than the catchy tunes, is how different it sounds than his two previous albums. Stereotypically, artists who double as songwriters have a difficult time avoiding patterns in their music which tend to make songs repetitive either musically or lyrically. Also noteworthy is the absence of the hammered dulcimer as Mitch's sound continues to grow and evolve. Songs are still guitar driven and harmonica laced and the lyrics are thought provoking and story telling. The arrangements and background vocals are complimenting and unobtrusive.

The album kicks off in fine fashion with "You Have Everything" followed by one of my favorites, "Take The Wheel", partially inspired by all the time Mitch spends on the road, as is the sixth track, "Nowhere Else". "I Need You Jesus" is a prayerful offering played primarily on piano. The albums first single, "Stargazer", debuted in Christian radio on July 26th. It's a catchy little tune about a girl who looks for the good in the world. Mitch and the rest of his band (consisting of Brad Layher, Joe Curet, and Jeff Weiss) made a music video to accompany the song. The video is fun to watch and displays obvious camaraderie between the guys. Other highlights on the CD include "Deeper In Love" and "Don't Let Your Heart Be Troubled" which is written from God's perspective. I recall Mitch saying that writing the song in this manner made him somewhat nervous for fear of putting words in God's mouth. It may be, however, my favorite song on the album.

I dislike using the terms "the best yet" when describing a new album but in this case I think I'll make an exception. This album contains something for people of all walks of life and all genres of music. At times it's humorous, reflective, and inspiring all at the same time. It is exactly what I am coming to expect from Mitch....a very good album.

--Rick Moore

Return to top