Date: 22 July 1998
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 004]: El Sobrante, CA 07/18 review

Hi friends,

Janet writes to tell us about Mitch's concert in the Bay Area. Janet tells me El Sobrante is a little northeast of San Francisco, on the other side of the bay and a little north of Oakland and Berkely.

From: Janet
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:01:29 EDT
Subject: El Sobrante concert

Dan'l,
     Had the privelege last Sat. night to see Mitch and This Train in concert.
Despite the 100 degree weather, no air conditioning, and a late start due to
some sound problems, it was a great show.
     Mitch was by himself this evening, no backup and did a great job
accompanying himself on guitar and harmonica.  He started out with 2 new songs
(not on the cd), Right Here With Us and His Grace Is Strong (not real sure of
the title on that one).  Great stuff with some real insightful lyrics.  The
rest of the set consisted of songs from the new cd and one from Canticle. His
voice sounded fine, a little rougher than before the accident, but he didn't
seem to have any problem hitting the notes.  He spoke a little about what he's
gone through these past months and what God's been teaching him through it
all. Here's the set list:
   I'm Checking the Sound  (Actually this was Mitch's way of doing a sound
check)
   Right Here With us
   His Grace Is Strong (title?)
   New Mexico
   Take Hold Of Me
   Heaven Is Waiting
   The Lemonade Song
   Here And Now

     After Mitch's set, This Train came out and thoroughly entertained the
crowd.  I think it would be virtually impossible to not enjoy a TT concert.  I
don't think I've ever seen anyone play bass the way Mark does!  Pretty
incredible!  They played all of their fun stuff.  Brought Mitch back on stage
to sing Great Atomic Power and a great version of Screen Door (sans cups).
They also played Goodbye, a song that Mark said they usually didn't do in
concert but had been asked often by Rich to do it because it was his favorite.
So, said Mark, they were doing it for him now.  The crowd wanted an encore so
they all came back out, Mitch included, and sang a hymn (sorry, right now the
name escapes me), accapella, 4 parts.  Very nice.  Finished off with Mark
leading the audience in the Doxology.  A fitting end to a great evening.
     This Trains set went like this:
   Like It Or Not
   I Saw The Light
   The Missing Link
   Nowhere Fast
   Mimes Of The Old West
   Goodbye
   A Million Years
   Every Word You Said
   Screen Door
   Great Atomic Power
   Monstertruck
   Encore - Hymn (title? ) Doxology

     It was a great evening.  Definitely worth the hour and a half drive.
Hope they'll be able to make it out to Calif. again soon.

In Christ,
Janet