Date: 10 April 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 030]: Defiance, OH 03/20 review

From: Marty Childress
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:02:45 EST
Subject: Last show with Mitch & Kid Bros.

    In case you haven't heard a report, here's a short note from a long time
"list lurker" concerning the last Ragamuffins show with Mitch & The Kid
Brothers. Four members of my family and I made the trip from Louisville, Ky to
Defiance, Ohio. We didn't want to miss this last opportunity to see this great
group of Christian Musicians working together.
     The show was in a former downtown movie theater that had been converted
into a Church. It made for a wonderful place for a worship/concert. The show
was as moving and as great as I had  expected; as much  has been written up
very well by others about the tour performances,  I won't repeat. That is
except to say the Screendoor cup performance still has not reached perfection!
     But, here's what made this show even a bit more special: Just a short
time  into the show either Mark or Rick spoke of the different types of
lighting they had encountered on the tour. Some where the audience could see
them but they could not see the audience.  Some close to  vice-versa of  that
!, and various other conditions in between. They characterized the lighting
this night as "wedding reception lighting"; we could see them and they could
see us just as well. It was a small crowd of about 300 per my estimation, with
most folks on the ground floor of the balconied Worship Center.
   In just a bit the band seemed to be communicating something to each other
in a subtle manner. Mark then stopped to address someone in the balcony and to
tell the audience what was going on. Because of this particular lighting they
could see Rich Mullin's Mother and  Uncle setting in the balcony  watching the
performance!
    After this the band & the others started up again, at least a notch higher
(quite a feat). Then they stopped again and Mark told us how  completely
unexpected this was and then told   Rich's Mom & Uncle how nervous they were
about playing for them. He spoke very sincerely of the band's desire not to
disappoint them with their performance.
    Well, needless to say the almost four hour performance disappointed no
one. The whole group stayed around long after the show and my daughter, son in
law, wife and I have a life long memory. But maybe most of all, our Awesome
God, Submarine, Deliverer, etc. singing  foster daughter Sarah has had a real
encounter with Christ through a very talented group of musicians who put on an
inspired performance.  They then took the time to talk to her, sign one of the
Submarine cups for her and gather  'round to have their picture taken with
her. Nothing can overcome years of child abuse like Christ can through his
servants.
  So,  like Rich said :
          BE GOD'S , Marty Childress

Return to top