Date: 08 May 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 034]: Fort Wayne, IN 04/18 review

Subject: Concert Review
From: Tim M Francis
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 06:57:21 EDT

Mitch McVicker and the Kid Brothers of St. Frank played a concert Sunday
night April 18, 1999 at St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church in Ft. Wayne,
Indiana.  The concert followed the Lifeteen Mass.  I arrived near the end
of the mass and was privileged to hear Mitch play a special song after
communion and close the mass playing and singing Awesome God.  Mitch
played and sang both of these songs himself.  The concert began shortly
after the mass.  There were some sound problems throughout the night, but
Mitch, Michael, Eric, and Shelli did a great job of staying together in
spite of all the difficulties.  It was quite a different concert from the
one I saw in January with some new songs and others shuffled around.
They opened with One Of These Days followed by Gospel Rain.  Next was a
new song about renewal.  I asked Mitch the name of this later and he said
he didn't know what the name was yet.  It is going to be one of my
favorites.  Next was Heaven is Waiting, and after introducing everyone in
the band Shelli sang In Your Hands beautifully.  Shelli was also singing
backing vocals on more songs than she did a couple months ago.  She adds
so much to the music.  When Mitch was introducing everyone he explained
about hitting a little snag with the Kid Brothers name when Shelli joined
the because "She's just not a boy.......Thank God!"  Next was Here and
Now followed by a rocking version of When You Love.  I can't wait until I
start hearing that one on the radio!  Then some teens in the crowd would
try and get one last clap in after everyone else stopped clapping.  Mitch
said he used to play that game and he and Michael tried to get the last
clap in.  Michael won.  Then Shelli sang Fairest Lord Jesus intertwined
with Mitch's There You Are.  Mitch gave a talk about Compassion and then
played She Asked Me How.  I've been waiting awhile to hear that one.
After a short intermission they opened the second set with Freedom with
Michael on the hammered dulcimer and Eric on the cello.  This was
followed by another new song possibly Fan the Flames (Higher and Higher)
It is another gem.  Mitch definitely has a gift for writing music.  Next
was Hope and then Mitch spoke of the accident and his long journey on the
road to recovery.  Then they played My Deliverer and did an incredible
job.  Mitch and the band then relieved an extended standing ovation from
the crowd which seemed to go on and on.  Mitch being quite humble didn't
quite know what to say.  They then played Take Hold of Me and closed with
The Lemonade Song.  They returned to sing Lord We Lift Your Name on High
and We Exalt You.  You could see and feel God working through Mitch and
his music in the lives of the teens.  I believe Mitch had a significant
impact this night.  My prayers go with them as they travel on down the
road.

Return to top