Date: 30 July 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 039]: Plainfield, WI 06/25 review

Daniel Boucek's His Oasis '99 review

Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 08:53:56
From: Daniel Boucek
Subject: Belated Mitch McVicker Review

On June 25, 1999, the 17th annual "His Oasis" Music Festival
welcomed Mitch McVicker and Brad Layher to Plainfield, Wisconsin
(located about 70 miles north of Madison).  Festival goers
enjoyed a weekend of camping, swimming, relaxation, and music.  A
free will offering was taken at the reception tent.  The turn out
was great!  People were sitting in front of the stage area on
blankets and lawn chairs.  Children danced and played to Mitch
and Brad's music. It was a beautiful evening with a bright full
moon.

Shortly after 9:00 p.m. Mitch McVicker and Brad Layher opened
with a number of songs from Mitch McVicker's self titled work and
The Canticle of the Plains.  Mitch and Brad performed "She Asked
Me How" which was a great surprise.  Mitch commented he has
avoided that song because it has been hard for him to reach the
higher notes since the accident.  He also continues to have
difficulties with his vision.

Mitch shared with the audience the anecdote about the individual
who died and went to heaven.  St. Peter met this person at the
heavenly gate.   St. Peter escorted the new arrival to his
heavenly mansion.  Finally when the two arrived in front of a
dilapidated building, the person said to St. Peter, Pete, where
is my mansion?  This place is a dump!  St. Peter replied, this is
all the building material you sent up here during your life.
Mitch encouraged the audience to make sure they were sending up
plenty of building supplies for their heavenly home. The audience
clapped and shouted "amen"!

Several new songs were performed, to include "When You Love" and
"Burning the Fields in Kansas".  He also sang a song he wrote
over the past few weeks about Rich Mullins called, "Rich's Song."
The forth new song spoke about "living in a world that's inside
out and upside down" which he said most represented himself.

Mitch and Brad sang almost every song on Mitch's self-titled
release, the four new songs, and two or three from Canticle.
Mitch also sang Emmanuel, On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand, and
No, not One.  Mitch and Brad performed an encore performance of
My Deliverer to close out the evening. While singing My Deliverer
Brad Layher experienced the flavor of central Wisconsin when a
swarm of bugs flew into his mouth.

Brad Layher, of Alathea, complimented and supported Mitch by
playing guitar, hammered dulcimer, and vocals.  McVicker used the
time between his last scheduled concert in Rockford, Illinois on
May 7, and the "His Oasis" concert in Plainfield, Wisconsin to
relax, work on some songs, and to get ready for his next string
of concerts with Layher.  Tentatively Mitch plans to go to the
recording studio in November - December, but that might change.
Many from the audience spent time with Mitch and Brad after the
concert.  It was a most enjoyable worship filled evening.

Return to top