Date: 03 August 2000
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 063]: BOBfest 2000 in Leo, IN 06/24

I caught up with Mitch at BOBFest in Leo, IN just north of Ft. Wayne. Mitch and Brad opened their set with their lawn chair version of "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less". Then they were joined on stage by Cobra Joe of This Train on drums. Cobra played drums for the rest of the concert. Mitch said that they had played together for the first time the previous night in northern Wisconsin. Cobra's style fit right in with Mitch's music and added a great depth to the concert. They started with a moving rendition of "Only Love Will" a personal favorite of mine. Next up was "Take Hold of Me". Mitch had a lot of trouble with the harmonica part at the beginning of this one. The first note he hit was way too high. Then Mitch says, "Wait, Wait. I have to stop. " And the band screeches to a halt. Then he laughingly says, " I thought I had the wrong harmonica, but I was just playing the wrong notes. Imagine that!" So they started again, and got through it with only minor harmonica problems. Mitch laughed when he came to the line "I'm gonna sing my song out loud complete with all the mistakes." Then came Gospel Rain. Then Mitch talked a little about the accident, and how far he has come, and what he has learned. He said that just because God doesn't answer our prayers like we want Him to, it doesn't mean He isn't working. Then they played a powerful version of My Deliverer with Cobra pounding that bass drum. Next they played a couple songs from The Canticle. Brad switched over to the dulcimer for Heaven is Waiting, and back to guitar for There You Are. I think it was during this song when Brad attempted a string change in mid song, which prompted Mitch to sing in the tune of There Your Are, " and while Brad changes his string, I'll just play my guitar" or something like that. It fit right into the song and brought a round of applause from the crowd, reminiscent of Rich. Mitch then offered up a selection from the new EP, Anything. The crowd joined in to clap with the beat. It's a catchy tune that sticks in your head for days. Then Mitch played Here and Now. Both Brad and Mitch broke strings during the concert. At one point, Brad tried to switch to another guitar, and had it on, before he realized it was tuned differently. Once, he went over to Mitch's guitar, then realized his string was broken as well, and said, "You've got a broken string too! And you're out of tune!" It was hilarious. Brad then played a composition of his own with Mitch backing on vocals and harmonica called Tin Man. It was excellent. Next was She Asked Me How. Then another one from the EP called Suites of Skin. This song really promotes deep thinking. The lyrics challenge you to go deeper with God. Then they played The Lemonade Song which Mitch said was his attempt at writing a parable. They closed their set with Burning the Fields, also on the new EP. Mitch and Brad have really come together on the new stuff and Cobra sounds like he's been playing with them for years. It was a great show.

Tim Francis

Return to top