Date: 26 Sept 1999
To: MitchMailList
From: Danl Blackwood
Subject: [MitchMailList 041]: Columbia City, IN 09/18 review

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:23:04
Subject: Columbia City
From: Tim Francis

Mitch McVicker played a concert with Brad Layher at Columbia City high
school in Columbia City, Indiana last Saturday night, September 18,
1999.  It was a cool, crisp kind of night with a beautiful Midwest
sunset.  Mitch began the concert shortly after 7:30 p.m. with "Here and
Now."  I've always enjoyed this song and I noticed Mitch threw in a
nice break and tempo change toward the end which made for a fresh new
version.

Mitch followed up with a fairly rough rendition of "Take Hold of Me."
Brad had a broken string and Mitch was a bit out of tune.  When they
were finished with the song Mitch apologized for the way they sounded
saying, "I thought I'd just go ahead and start it and no one would
notice.  Well, I was wrong!" Mitch also said "Man, that was hard for
me to listen to and I was playing it!  I can't imagine what it must
have been like for you to just sit there and listen to it!"  After some
tuning and regrouping they did "Freedom" followed by "When You Love."
Both were excellent.

While tuning and talking in between songs they improvised a little
song called "Dead Space." It went something like, "We got dead space
in the concert.  Dead space in the concert.  But we're gonna fill it
up.  Gonna fill it up."  The crowd loved this as they really got into
it and repeated it several times.  Mitch then played "There You Are"
from the "Canticle of the Plains."

After this he told the story of a man going up into heaven and meeting
St.Peter.  He was all excited about getting there and seeing his
"mansion".  But when Peter showed him his house it was more like a
shack, and the man asked what was up.  Peter said, "Well, over your
lifetime this is all the lumber and material you've sent up here."  It
was a convicting little story making me think and wonder what I have
been sending up lately.  Mitch then shared he's trying his best to
send up good material, because he'd like at least something with
shutters.

Then they played "Heaven is Waiting." Brad really did a good job on
the hammered dulcimer.  It was beautiful.  Next Mitch put his guitar
down and they did "She Asked Me How" with just Brad on guitar and Mitch
on the harmonica.  Out of many times I've seen Mitch he's only played
that one at one other show that I can remember.  Mitch then shared
about Compassion, and the importance of what Compassion does in the
lives of so many people and closed the first set with "Gospel Rain."

After a short break they were back and opened with "Hope." Brad backed
Mitch with some excellent rhythms and provided some percussion with
his guitar on this one.  After this song Mitch said he was sitting
backstage during the break starting to go into a deep depression over
that second song in the first set.  He again apologized and said it
would take him weeks to get over that one.  Next Mitch did "Your Right
Here With Us" an unrecorded song that used to be "He's Right Here With
Us." The changes Mitch has made to this song has really taken a good
song and made it even better.  It seems much more alive and real.

Then Brad and Mitch pulled up some lawn chairs and sat down.  Brad
smoothly in one motion moved his mike stand down. Mitch struggled and
struggled with his.  Brad sat there smiling.  Mitch explained that
Brad had a degree in civil engineering.  Brad chimed in with an
emphasis in mike stands. Then Mitch said something like, "Technology,
you can't live with it, you can't fry it in a wok."  I'm not sure
where that came from, but it was a hilarious moment.

After settling in they did an accapella version of "My Hope is Built."
With their guitars laying across their laps they both did different
percussion rhythms to provide some backing through the whole song. It
was really good.  Reminiscent of a screen door type of sound.  Next
Mitch told his gorilla joke which I won't spoil here.  He had us
laughing pretty much all night. It was a really good night to be with
Mitch.

Next he played another song yet to be recorded about renewal,
restoring, and rekindling a dry spirit.  He related it to the way in
spring time in Kansas they cleanse the old dried up fields by "Burning
the Fields."  After a tangential time of sharing, and a polar bear
imitation, Mitch played a song that he wrote with Brad that might be
called "Won't Take Long." I really enjoyed that one.

Mitch then shared about the past 2 years and how so much has happened.
At the start of this talk a cell phone rang from backstage. Mitch
said, "That's my phone!"  Brad ran to get it and came out a moment
later saying it was Mitch's Mom.  Evidently Mitch figured he'd call
her back later.  It was funny.  He then continued his talk as he
shared right from his heart about daily struggles that are still
difficult for him.  He talked about having double vision and trying to
carry on with daily life things and how he thinks he's a pretty good
driver anyway. Brad smiled.  He shared that he heard that nerves heal
at a rate of a millimeter a month.  He said he hopes he doesn't have
any really long ones.  Mitch shared that it was 2 years ago tomorrow
that he was involved in the car wreck that killed Rich Mullins. Mitch
struggled through some of this sharing, but I was amazed at his
courage and honesty.  I saw Mitch and Rich play just weeks before the
accident and I thank God how He has brought Mitch through this.
Mitch's music continues to touch a special place in my heart. I've
often prayed for him and will continue to do so.  Mitch said he is
just so thankful for everything and every moment he has.

After this time of sharing he played a touching version of "My
Deliverer" followed by a "Song for Rich." While introducing the "Song
for Rich" Mitch said "I hope you like it."  Then he paused and looked
up and said, "but to be honest I don't care if you like it. I hope
Rich likes it." Both songs were extremely moving.  Again Mitch's
honesty was convicting.

Next Mitch said, "We're gonna do a stupid little song." Brad said
"Very".  Mitch said, "I only let Brad say a certain number of words
per show, and he has exceeded his limit." The crowd got into the
"Lemonade Song" as always and clapped the whole way through it.  Next
was another new song which might be called "Inside Out and Upside
Down." This is going to be one of my favorites.  It spoke of living in
a world that places value on so many things that don't really mean
anything.  And how even if you live without leather seats, or nice
houses and big cars you "just might see God"  Mitch shared that big
houses and nice cars are just big and nice. That's it. But faith, hope
and love will remain.

Next there was a break, a freewill offering, and a prayer. Then Mitch
and Brad came out and Mitch asked what we wanted to hear.  Many songs
were shouted out.  Mitch said I don't know how to play any of those
songs.  Then someone yelled out "You Are All."  Mitch tried to figure
this out and at one point was almost ready to attempt it, but the Dead
Space song began again this time with much more feeling. Someone then
requested "New Mexico" which Mitch played.  Next someone asked for "Only
Love Will."  Brad did not know how to play this one, but did help with
backing vocals on the chorus.  This was the last song of a great
concert.  We had a great time. It is always a joy to share an evening
with Mitch.  My prayers go with him and Brad as they travel and
minister down the road.

Return to top